25 Years of Perl

Peter Sergeant pete at clueball.com
Wed Nov 21 09:15:44 GMT 2012

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 9:46 AM, Dave Cross <dave at dave.org.uk> wrote:

> Finding it harder to trace the history of #perl though. Can anyone help
> out there? Even if it's just an idea of when it first started.
>
> Oh, and when was irc.perl.org set up?

EFnet #perl was the 'original' Perl IRC channel - I'm sure Randall (and
Simon Cozens?) at least can provide some more detail there, as they were
both active ~15 years ago when I first started using it.

I believe irc.infobot.org was set up either for YAPC '99 or 19100, and
slowly but surely #perl migrated from EFNet to it. Some years ago,
irc.perl.org was pointed to that network, which has variously been called
MagNET, Rhizomatic, and I'm sure some others.

Here is a photo of #perl users from 13 years ago!

http://photography.mengwong.com/yapc1999/group-1.html

-P