25 Years of Perl

David H. Adler dha at panix.com
Wed Nov 21 09:45:39 GMT 2012

On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 09:15:44AM +0000, Peter Sergeant wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 9:46 AM, Dave Cross <dave at dave.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > Finding it harder to trace the history of #perl though. Can anyone help
> > out there? Even if it's just an idea of when it first started.
> >
> > Oh, and when was irc.perl.org set up?
> >

> EFnet #perl was the 'original' Perl IRC channel - I'm sure Randall (and
> Simon Cozens?) at least can provide some more detail there, as they were
> both active ~15 years ago when I first started using it.
>
> I believe irc.infobot.org was set up either for YAPC '99 or 19100, and
> slowly but surely #perl migrated from EFNet to it. Some years ago,
> irc.perl.org was pointed to that network, which has variously been called
> MagNET, Rhizomatic, and I'm sure some others.

I believe Rhizomatic was the name when originally set up, and MagNet is current.

> Here is a photo of #perl users from 13 years ago!
>
> http://photography.mengwong.com/yapc1999/group-1.html

And here's one from 8 years ago.

http://www.panix.com/~dha/test/pix/IMG_2749.JPG

We got tinfoil hats for Damian's talk that year.

And you may or may not want to include this. :-)

http://www.panix.com/~dha/test/pix/IMG_1833.JPG

dha

--
David H. Adler - <dha at panix.com> - http://www.panix.com/~dha/
My glass might be half empty, but I am on the way to the bar