25 Years of Perl

Uri Guttman uri at stemsystems.com
Sat Nov 24 00:36:23 GMT 2012

this thread reminds me of something we need to crow about more. so many
conventions, inventions, ideas have come from the perl community and
then be copied/stolen/absorbed by other langs, usually without much
recognition. the most obvious is regexes with the pcre package everyone
seems to use but it never can be truly perl compatible. how often have
we seen regex questions in perl channels/groups for users in other
langs? they say perlers know regexes better. hmmm

TAP is used everywhere now. perl invented and spread it so it is
universal in the perl world.

cpan is always being copied (poorly) by other langs. they just never get
the community feeling of uploading to cpan as a cred and for sharing.

yapc has yet to be properly copied. no one else delivers more bang for
the buck and fun as well.

mjd invented lightning talks and they are at many confs now, not just
lang ones. another perl invention with no credit given.

uri