Perl outreach

Salve J Nilsen sjn+oslo.pm at pvv.org
Mon Nov 26 21:03:21 GMT 2012

Peter Sergeant said:
> On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 8:12 PM, Salve J Nilsen <sjn+oslo.pm at pvv.org> wrote:
>>
>>  «So you want to write some useful software? Learn from Perl. We in
>> the Perl community saw what happened when one just focuses "getting
>> stuff done" without spending any attention on software life-cycle
>> management. So, what did we learn? Write software that is easy to
>> understand and fun to read. In fact, try to write software that one
>> only needs to read once, but that one *wants* to read twice. This
>> is difficult, but less so with Perl. You need a language that is
>> flexible and malleable enough so you can express the intention of
>> your code in the way that is best for your readers. This is where
>> Perl shines. If you wield the tool well you can make wonderful
>> things, and if you don't you'll probably end up making crap.»
>>
>> Comments? :)
>
> I think you could swap in any language name there, and no-one would
> be any wiser that you started off with "Perl".

Would mentioning TIMTOWTDI address your point? e.g. «... This is where
Perl shines. We call this flexibility TIMTOWTDI, and it's a core
philosophy in our language. ...»

Maybe this pitch can be improved in other ways too? (I'm sure if
someone with a better grasp of the English language than myself would
spend a little attention, we could get something useful out of it).

- Salve (one of those Oslo.pm people)

--
#!/usr/bin/perl
sub AUTOLOAD{$AUTOLOAD=~/.*::(\d+)/;seek(DATA,$1,0);print#  Salve Joshua Nilsen