Perl outreach

Avleen Vig avleen at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 08:58:03 GMT 2012

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 8:58 PM, Kieren Diment <diment at gmail.com> wrote:
> On the technical side, perl supports a number of different programming styles - procedural, functional, oo, and others.  Python and Ruby are much more tied into OO.  So it's less likely that a good perl person will need to reach for other languages to demonstrate their competence with a diversity of styles, so their CV may look thinner than those of others'.

I would highly recommend that anyone who wants to really promote perl
actually go talk to some CTOs (the ones who used to be software
engineers) at highly successful companies small to mid sized companies
which haven't used perl. Actually *ask* them why they haven't.

We're asking why people don't use perl for big projects and instead go
to python, ruby, php, without involving the people who make those
decisions, or who have previously successfully made the decision not
to use perl.