Perl outreach

Edmund von der Burg evdb at ecclestoad.co.uk
Tue Nov 27 14:20:42 GMT 2012

On 27 November 2012 13:14, James Laver <james.laver at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 27 Nov 2012, at 12:51, Edmund von der Burg <evdb at ecclestoad.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> but I'm now a
>> Node fan boy. The asynchronous approach tickles me. And npm is
>> GLORIOUS. Does this mean that others will like Node - not at all. Try
>> 'em all!
>
> And in one of my talks at LPW I went into length about why I can't stand node.js. Actually that's not true: I like synchronous node.js, just everything goes to pot if you want async.

To be sure there are some thing that async is awful at. I love it for
APIs and responding to web requests. Anything short and sweet and
potentially blocking or concurrent.

For the sequential testing of clicking on a web interface it was
painful to the extreme. To the extent that I threw away all that code
and started again using watir (http://watirwebdriver.com/). Which is
Ruby. Who cares, it works!

> Wanting to play with new things is how I wound up on clojure.

Good, good. I approve. Carry on.

Cheers,
  Edmund.