Perl outreach

Kieren Diment diment at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 01:32:52 GMT 2012

On 30/11/2012, at 12:24 PM, Tomas Doran wrote:

> On 29 Nov 2012, at 12:33, gvim wrote:
>> If we want to be Perl noticed again as a serious contender for new projects I'd say our best bet is to finally get Perl 6 finished, or at least "production-ready". I know Perl 5 is excellent but Perl needs something new to get noticed again. That something is Perl 6.
>
> So what you're saying is patches, not rhetoric?
>
> Where are your patches?

Solving problems using the same or better new and shiny as the others (in combination with the old solid and reliable which perl excels at), in equal or less time.  Perl 5 does that well.  But we're a bit shy as a community, and ought to blow our trumpets more.  Perl 6 has been an exceptionally useful research project for perl 5.  Maybe one day it will be useful for the likes of me.