cpan you have to see

Aaron Trevena aaron.trevena at
Thu Dec 13 10:03:30 GMT 2012

On 12 December 2012 21:45, DAVID HODGKINSON <davehodg at> wrote:
> Do we still have automated kwalitee on CPAN?

There is CPANTS ( which checks Kwalitee

> Would hurling a PBP test at the whole of CPAN to get a metric be of any benefit?

As already mentioned Perl Critic could be done, but perhaps with a
very high tolerence level and focus more on big mistakes and risks
than good style - certainly feasible (McCabe score in 3 digits, much
more useful than whether bare, explicit or implicit return used).

There are plenty of useful tools for skimming the cream of CPAN :
* CPAN Ra(n)tings which is already integrated into metacpan
* metacpan recommendation/endorsements (, not linked from front page,
which is a shame as it's a really nice feature)
* which is an amazon/netflix style recommendation system

There is a LOT on CPAN, but it's not about the size, it's about what
you do with it, and the eco-system and tools around it continue to
improve and set the bar higher for similar code repos :)

Aaron J Trevena, BSc Hons