PHP "community"

Jérôme Étévé jerome.eteve at
Thu Jan 17 16:21:53 GMT 2013

On 17 January 2013 09:46, Simon Wilcox <essuu at> wrote:
> On 16/01/2013 15:08, gvim wrote:
>> PHP UK (22nd Feb.): £380
>> London Perl Workshop: £0
>> 'nuff said.
> Wow, perl is so unpopular they have to give away places to get people to a
> conference.
> or
> Wow, the demand for PHP conferences is so high people are willing to pay
> quite a lot to go.
> I have no idea what you're trying to say but I suspect that wasn't it.

If the demand for PHP conferences is much higher than for Perl, how do
you explain that ?:

It looks to me that Perl AND PHP are both losing momentum in the same
proportion, Perl remaining significantly more popular than PHP on the
US job market.

A quick google trends comparison shows exactly the same downward
trend, although here it seems people are significantly googling PHP
much much more than Perl.

One interesting thing to notice is that although there's more job
offers in Perl, PHP wins the google search contest (and some people
are willing to pay £380 to go to a PHP conference). I don't really
know what conclusion this should lead to.

Another one is while job market demand for Python and Ruby are growing
(not rapidly though), their search volume stays flat.

Jerome Eteve.

jerome.eteve at