PHP "community"

Jérôme Étévé jerome.eteve at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 16:21:53 GMT 2013

On 17 January 2013 09:46, Simon Wilcox <essuu at ourshack.com> wrote:
> On 16/01/2013 15:08, gvim wrote:
>>
>> PHP UK (22nd Feb.): £380
>> London Perl Workshop: £0
>>
>> 'nuff said.
>

> Wow, perl is so unpopular they have to give away places to get people to a
> conference.
>
> or
>
> Wow, the demand for PHP conferences is so high people are willing to pay
> quite a lot to go.
>
> I have no idea what you're trying to say but I suspect that wasn't it.

If the demand for PHP conferences is much higher than for Perl, how do
you explain that ?:
http://www.simplyhired.com/a/jobtrends/trend/q-Perl%2C+Python%2C+Php%2C+Ruby

It looks to me that Perl AND PHP are both losing momentum in the same
proportion, Perl remaining significantly more popular than PHP on the
US job market.

A quick google trends comparison shows exactly the same downward
trend, although here it seems people are significantly googling PHP
much much more than Perl.
http://www.google.co.uk/trends/explore#q=php%2C%20perl%2C%20python%2C%20ruby&cmpt=q

One interesting thing to notice is that although there's more job
offers in Perl, PHP wins the google search contest (and some people
are willing to pay £380 to go to a PHP conference). I don't really
know what conclusion this should lead to.

Another one is while job market demand for Python and Ruby are growing
(not rapidly though), their search volume stays flat.

--
Jerome Eteve.

jerome.eteve at gmail.com