Offtopic(ish) ops question

Avleen Vig avleen at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 19:43:50 GMT 2013

On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 12:15 PM, Dave Hodgkinson <davehodg at gmail.com> wrote:

> New VM, installing CPAN deps (cpanm obvs).
>
> I know all the apps are going to be the same level of stuff
> as they'll all be latest Cat/DBIC and so on, and for laziness
> reasons, that's how it is on my dev VM.
>
> It's perl 5.10.1 and I don't knowingly do anything post BBC 5.8.8.
>
> Just install CPANM modules into the main perl?
>
> No reason to brew a new perl?

It depends on your approach to systems management.
You can either try and keep app your things separate from the system
stuff, or you can allow them all to get jumbled up.

With the first, you can install modules from your package manager of
choice (apt, yum, whatever), and get somewhat far along. It's also
nicer if you're going to take modules that aren't in apt/yum and
package them up into .deb or .rpm - you know they'll work for you and
others if you distribute them. The down side is that if you fuck it
up, you might hose the system perl and any system bits that depend on
them (I have this issue with python regularly, where I want a newer
python but can't easily upgrade on old systems because it breaks yum
and rpm).
You might want to see if your OS package manager has the perl version
in it that you want.

With the second, it's easier to screw around with perl, upgrade as you
want, and generally be way more flexible. The downside may be the time
it takes to manage that, you'll have to install all your modules, etc.
If you're happy doing that, it works :)