London.pm Server for Mailing List and Web Site

Tom Hukins tom at eborcom.com
Thu Feb 14 14:34:21 GMT 2013

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 01:41:30PM +0000, Peter Corlett wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 08:44:08AM +0000, Tom Hukins wrote:
> > The server running this jail is very old, so Exonetric have also
> > provided us with a much newer FreeBSD 8 jail that various people
> > have done some work on migrating us to.
>
> I suspect that the lack of volunteers is that there aren't many
> people with experience with that particular platform ...  Were it
> running Debian, say, you'd no doubt have plenty of volunteers,
> myself included.

Yes, I agree.  One person has offered to help with the migration
off-list, but I appreciate the advantage of using a platform that more
of us prefer.

> Perhaps you might want to consider following up on those offers of
> alternative hosting? :)

However, yours is the first alternative offer I remember receiving.
Thank you.

> (Heck, a whole dedicated low-end server at Hetzner is under
> £250/year and could be easily lost in my hosting bills.)

In my opinion, the main advantage of using Exonetric is that they
don't charge us and at least two of their staff are London Perl
Mongers.  I don't worry about the price of a low end server, but
"remembering to pay" would create a recurring task that we musn't
neglect.

Again, thank you for your offer.  I'll get in touch off-list.

Tom