More advice about becoming a freelance Perl programmer

Ben Vinnerd ben at vinnerd.com
Thu Mar 7 21:16:06 GMT 2013

On 7 March 2013 17:09, Peter Corlett <abuse at cabal.org.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 07, 2013 at 02:31:48PM +0000, Ben Vinnerd wrote:
> > On 6 March 2013 18:54, Peter Corlett <abuse at cabal.org.uk> wrote:
> >> Don't typecast yourself as a Perl developer, as that just limits what
> roles
> >> you can do.
>
> > It depends on who you're trying to market yourself/your company to. Some
> > companies are specifically looking for a Perl developer, therefore it's a
> > good idea to use the word "Perl" in the title.
>
> > Other companies might not give a crap about what their
> > product/website/whatever is coded in, so you'd perhaps use the title
> e.g. Web
> > Developer or Software Application Developer.
>
> So what? The CV and/or other promotional material can be customised for
> each
> potential client to emphasise those skills that the client is most
> interested
> in. Or in the case of job boards where everybody sees the same CV, upload a
> different CV to each board as a crude A/B test.

I'm not sure which part of my post you were saying "so what?" at, but
anyway, I agree with what you're saying about customisation and it's kinda
the point I was getting at -- call yourself a Perl Dev for a client who
wants Perl, or call yourself a Web Dev for a client who just wants a
website and doesn't care whether it's coded in Perl, Python or any other
language :)