New perl features?

Mark Fowler mark at twoshortplanks.com
Fri Mar 15 13:07:31 GMT 2013

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 8:39 AM, Alex Balhatchet <kaoru at slackwise.net> wrote:

> I don't think any major release has made perl *slower*,

Is this now true?  I remember ten years ago Nick said in his
YAPC::Europe::2002 talk  that newer versions of Perl were sometimes
slower.  That *was* ten years ago, so I'm more than happy to get an
updated

Of course his notes actually say:

"Try using a different perl version. Different releases of perl are
faster at different things. If you're using an old perl, try the
latest version. If you're running the latest version but not using the
newer features, try an older version."
  -- http://www.ccl4.org/~nick/P/Fast_Enough/

So they're not so cut and dry.  So it's worth getting a better opinion.

There's People Who Should Know on this list.  What say you?

Mark.