New perl features?

Mike Stok mike at stok.ca
Fri Mar 15 18:31:27 GMT 2013

On 2013-03-15, at 11:03 AM, DAVID HODGKINSON <davehodg at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 15 Mar 2013, at 14:49, Greg McCarroll <greg at mccarroll.org.uk> wrote:

>>> With so many orgs stuck on ancient perls, it may not be a full solution. Sure it may attract newbies but if they get a job with an ancient perl they're going to be disappointed they can't use all that shiny.
>>>

>> IMHO, the best marketing materials you could create would be a list of what the lead developers of a module are using. Having a note that 5.14 supports feature Foo will never persuade as many organisations as having Tim Bunce saying he works daily with the 5.14 stack in his day job and DBI development (or a similar statement).
>
> In two orgs I've worked in recently, the trick was defining perl as part
> of the application stack and taking out of the hands of the wookies. perlbrew
> has helped immensely with this.
>
> But this wasn't my original question.

Even if it wasn't ... the question I try to ask is "How can I make it easier to deploy my app?" rather than " What must I do to fit into your infrastructure?".

These days perlbrew / local lib make it much easier to consider the interpreter and libraries part of the app rather than coupling apps to each other through the system's perl and libraries.

Mike

--

Mike Stok <mike at stok.ca>
http://www.stok.ca/~mike/