Ungooglable interview questions (was: Re: New perl features?)

Sam Kington sam at illuminated.co.uk
Sun Mar 17 01:54:37 GMT 2013

On 16 Mar 2013, at 14:48, Dave Cross <dave at dave.org.uk> wrote:
> On 16/03/13 11:42, DAVID HODGKINSON wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't think 'sigils' means what you seem to think it means :-)
>>
>> Line noise?
>
> They are operators. Sigils are the things that go in front of variable names - $, @, %, & and *. No new sigils for a long time.

At $WORK we ask new hires, over IRC (because everyone potentially works remotely), a variant of chromatic's http://modernperlbooks.com/mt/2011/01/how-to-identify-a-good-perl-programmer.html

So far, when we've put people through the test (some people have been omitted because they obviously had a clue), nobody has managed to identify * as a sigil.

I'm slightly concerned that the specific questions are susceptible to being googled. Does anyone have any good examples of non-googlable interview questions that could be answered (or not) over IRC or a similar medium? The usual standby, asking people to write code during their interview, obviously doesn't work when someone can google, cut and paste.

Sam
--
Website: http://www.illuminated.co.uk/