New perl features?

Nicholas Clark nick at ccl4.org
Mon Mar 18 17:00:01 GMT 2013

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 05:00:55PM +0100, Philippe Bruhat (BooK) wrote:

> > Dave> Does anyone pay for Perl articles these days? :-)
> >
> > I got paid for one a few years back.
> >
> > Nothing like the heyday of the 255 paid articles I wrote during the
> > dotcom boom.
> >

> The French "GNU/Linux Magazine" (http://www.ed-diamond.com/index.php#homelm)
> would still pay us, if we managed to write articles for them. :-)

That sounds like people don't have the time sufficient to write articles.
Are there people for whom translating articles to French is easier?

> And as bonus (because we accept to get paid a little less), the articles
> are put under a CC-ND-NC license after a few months, and end up here:
> http://articles.mongueurs.net/
>
> You'll need to write in French, though. And get paid in Euro.

ie, is there a viable split of the payment such that it's enough to motivate
a team of two, where one writes in English and the other translates?

(and I don't know if any of the German language publications will pay, in
which case, translating to both for near-enough simultaneous publication
might pay three people better than one publication pays two)

Please note, I'm not looking to write articles (paid or not). But I can see
that having more articles about the Perl programming language* would be a
good thing, and I'm not sure if anyone has suggested this approach before.

Nicholas Clark

*  Maybe the highly rigorous method behind Tiobe's index is simply to search
   the various London user groups' list archives for traffic. If so, that
   would explain a lot.

   Perhaps someone should name a programming language Beer. To see how fast
   its ranking rises.

   http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=PAHBZImmXsI#t=1153s

   "So it turns out there's a big overlap between people who like computer
    programming and people who like beer"

   (I found all 35 minutes of that keynote is worth watching.)