Raising Perl awareness on Tiobe + Wikipedia, etc.

Dave Cross dave at dave.org.uk
Wed Mar 20 11:42:45 GMT 2013

Quoting Richard Foley <richard.foley at rfi.net>:

> Looking down our noses and saying "WE don't need to disambiguate because WE
> know what we mean", (capitals are mine), is all very well, and I for one
> understand that there is no NEED for us to disambiguate Perl the programming
> language. However, the question is probably better put as to whether we would
> like to explicitly associate "Perl" and "programming language" whenever
> Wikipedia and Google and Yahoo and Facebook and blablabla are
> searched, perhaps by stupid robots, or even by blissfully ignorant
> people.
>
> It's not about what we deem necessary to our usage of what is
> clearly the best programming language on the planet, it's about what
> we can do to raise Perl's profile "out there", right now, and for
> future generations.

I understand all of that. But you're asking Wikipedia to break its own
rules on naming pages in order to suit you. I don't agree with that.

In English, there is one meaning of the word "Perl" that stands head
and shoulders above any others. Therefore, under Wikipedia's rules,
the page about that meaning should simply be called "Perl".

No matter what SEO benefits we might get, the Perl community should
respect Wikipedia's rules on this.

Dave...