Raising Perl awareness on Tiobe + Wikipedia, etc.

Smylers Smylers at stripey.com
Wed Mar 20 12:18:35 GMT 2013

Dave Cross writes:

> In English, there is one meaning of the word "Perl" that stands head
> and shoulders above any others. Therefore, under Wikipedia's rules,
> the page about that meaning should simply be called "Perl".

I agree.

> No matter what SEO benefits we might get, the Perl community should
> respect Wikipedia's rules on this.

Also if (the English) Wikipedia deems the programming language Perl to
not be the clear primary meaning of the term "Perl" but instead to be on
equal footing with Perl, Saarland and a dead US Representative with Perl
as his first name, that doesn't really reflect well on the vitality of
the Perl programming language.

Obviously the Python and Ruby languages, being named after common words,
need distinguishing from the Holy Grail seekers and the shiny red things
(among others). But it would be concerning if Perl's popularity ever
drops such that it's no longer the primary meaning of "Perl".

(That's actually the point that I thought was being made when the
Wikipedia discussion was linked to here yesterday, so I went to the
bother adding my vote opposing the rename proposal. It honestly didn't
occur to me a Perl advocate would be in favour of the rename.)

Smylers
--
http://twitter.com/Smylers2