Raising Perl awareness on Tiobe + Wikipedia, etc.

Dave Cross dave at dave.org.uk
Wed Mar 20 13:05:36 GMT 2013

Quoting Richard Foley <richard.foley at rfi.net>:

> I understand what you mean here, but there is room to wriggle.

I don't want room to wriggle here. I don't want the Perl community
resorting to borderline underhand SEO tactics. I want us to follow the
spirit of the Wikipedia rules, not just the letter.

> Secondly, I don't think anyone was suggesting we remove the Perl
> page from WP, rather that we make one the main page and the other
> point to it. In effect having both pages/solutions at once and
> having our cake and eating it too.

That what we currently have. "Perl (Programming Language)" is a
redirect to "Perl". That's how it should be. The proposal is to
reverse the direction of the redirection - so "Perl" redirects to
"Perl (Programming Language)". That is contrary to the way that
Wikipedia is supposed to work.

Dave...