Raising Perl awareness on Tiobe + Wikipedia, etc.

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Wed Mar 20 13:28:48 GMT 2013

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 12:30:24PM +0100, Richard Foley wrote:

> I think the original proposer is suggesting that it has more to do with one of
> the many things we might be able to do to help to raise the perception of Perl
> in the wider world.

Tiobe rankings aren't something that Wikipedia should care about though.
If you want to argue for adding "(programming language)" to the page
title, then you need to argue that the default page for "perl" should be
the disambiguation page because it makes more sense for the
categorisation of knowledge.  Comparing it to the situation with python on
wikipedia, for which the default "Python" page *is* the disambiguation
page, there are a *lot* more things called Python, many of which are
probably at least as commonly searched for as the programming language
is.  I'm not convinced that that is the case for Perl, and expect that
a large majority of users searching for "perl" actually mean the
language, not the place (or the people).

Compare:
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Python
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perl_(disambiguation)

For python, I knew about the type of snake, the mythological snake, the
poet, the programming language, the revolver, the film, the comedians,
and the aircraft engine. For perl, the only reason that I know about the
place is because "ooh look, a place with the same name as a programming
language, how funny" and, errm, that's it.

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed
 (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an
 endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary"  -- H. L. Mencken