Raising Perl awareness on Tiobe + Wikipedia, etc.

Simon Wilcox essuu at ourshack.com
Wed Mar 20 13:34:28 GMT 2013

On 20/03/2013 13:05, Dave Cross wrote:

>> Secondly, I don't think anyone was suggesting we remove the Perl page
>> from WP, rather that we make one the main page and the other point to
>> it. In effect having both pages/solutions at once and having our cake
>> and eating it too.
>
> That what we currently have. "Perl (Programming Language)" is a
> redirect to "Perl". That's how it should be. The proposal is to
> reverse the direction of the redirection - so "Perl" redirects to
> "Perl (Programming Language)". That is contrary to the way that
> Wikipedia is supposed to work.

c.f.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smalltalk
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C++
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Javascript

All programming languages that don't feel the need to say so in the
primary URL. Why should we feel the need to pander to those languages
that foolishly picked a common word as their name ?

It ain't broke - no need to fix it.

S.