Raising Perl awareness on Tiobe + Wikipedia, etc.

Dave Mitchell davem at iabyn.com
Thu Mar 21 11:18:50 GMT 2013

On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 01:00:04PM +0800, AJ Dhaliwal wrote:
> AFAIK JS was first created to manipulate the HTML DOM. Then
> Microsoft invented AJAX and that is what really pushed JS into the
> limelight. So JS had a very limited defined role as scripting
> language in its beginning. Maybe "JUST a scripting language" is not
> too far off a description.

I was using "Server-Side JavaScript" (the moral equivalent of mod_perl) to
write web applications using Netscape's Enterprise Web Server back around
1998. So JS has been more than just a web browser thing for a lot longer
than most people realise.

Needless to say, it was crap. It didn't have destructors, and therefore
uncontrollably leaked database handles, IIRC. I switched to Apache and
mod_perl as soon as I could.

--
Music lesson: a symbiotic relationship whereby a pupil's embellishments
concerning the amount of practice performed since the last lesson are