URL shorteners (was: Re: ISNIC DNS)

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Wed May 8 14:44:03 BST 2013

On Wed, May 08, 2013 at 02:32:24PM +0100, Sam Kington wrote:
> On 8 May 2013, at 14:21, Jérôme Étévé <jerome.eteve at gmail.com> wrote:
> > If you generate QR Codes, shortened links are actually very useful.
> "If you stab yourself in the face repeatedly with a rusty knife, bandages that automatically inject you with a tetanus vaccine are actually very useful."

QR codes are very useful, just not when printed on the sides of buses
which is where you usually see them.  For example, they're useful in
museum catalogues.  The V&A sometimes make very good use of them to
provide links from a description in an exhibition catalogue to a
website, and I've seen art galleries make use of them to have a "buy
this now" link on the wall next to a work.

--
David Cantrell | Godless Liberal Elitist

    [OS X] appeals to me as a monk, a user, a compiler-of-apps, a
    sometime coder, and an easily amused primate with a penchant
    for those that are pretty, colorful, and make nice noises.
        -- Dan Birchall, in The Monastery