URL shorteners (was: Re: ISNIC DNS)

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Wed May 8 17:09:49 BST 2013

On Wed, May 08, 2013 at 03:27:36PM +0100, Nicholas Clark wrote:
[...]
> The mention of the new-fangled IRC thing made me wonder if anyone has been
> perverse enough to create a link-shortener that serves things via gopher, or
> some other quirky protocol.
> Although I can see an immediate flaw in this plan - link shorteners rely on
> HTTP redirection codes, which I think that most other protocols don't have.

Gopher can't send HTTP status codes, but it can serve up HTML files, in which
you can have a <meta http-equiv="refresh" ...>, some JavaScript, and/or some
HTML saying "click here".

The real problem is browser support of Gopher. None of the common popular
browsers support it any more.

> Meanwhile, Dave notes that this thread has going wildly off at a tangent from
> the original problem - who to use to serve DNS for an Icelandic domain.

Several of us run our own DNS servers and could host it if need be.