Alternative sources of Perl programmers

Uri Guttman uri at stemsystems.com
Tue May 14 05:45:09 BST 2013

On 05/14/2013 12:09 AM, Richard Foley wrote:
> I had a contract role in Switzerland where the client was happy for me to come
> on board in a (largely) remote capacity. That meant some on-site work to
> familiarize me with the team and the project and then shift off-site for the
> majority of the work. This suited both parties.
>
> The agency stepped in, (they'd been "unavailable" during the telephone
> interview), and said there was no way I was going to work remotely for this
> client, and scotched the deal. Both the client and the contractor were screwed,
> and this had nothing to do with the practicalities of remote working, or
> problem solving of any kind. This was simply a power broking intervention.

how did the agent scotch it? what motivation did they have (other than
no ethics and lots of stupidity)?

it may sound sappy but i am very happy when i place a perl hacker and
all three parties (candidate, client and me) win. it does happen quite a
bit IMO. my first placement was a grad student in germany and he moved
to nyc for this job and he still has it 8 years later. that makes me
happy.  :)

and i can't scotch things as i like c_ognac better!

uri

_