Alternative sources of Perl programmers

Ben Vinnerd ben at vinnerd.com
Tue May 14 14:43:51 BST 2013

As others have said, re: WFH.

I'm a Perl contractor (about to finish a contract in a few weeks time), and
it amazes me of the number of clients who do not like WFH. I have to travel
50 miles per day to get to my clients office (and back) - the overwhelming
majority of the time I can do exactly the same work at home compared to
on-site.

I live in the North West and recently I saw a contract at Jobsite in
Hampshire (i.e. a long way away). I spoke to the agent and they don't allow
WFH (is this the agent not allowing me? Or Jobsite?). It would be nice if I
could speak to Jobsite directly and offer a lower rate for WFH, but the
agent is only interested in maximising his/her commision, so wants to
charge the maximum rate, so client must think, "we're paying a bigger
amount, we demand on-site work". Just my thoughts there.

It's disappointing when I look at the job/contract websites and I see very
little at present in the way of Perl development contracts. I have a plan B
that I need to start work on, of course it will be written in Perl :)  If
plan B works out then i'll be able to WFH all the time.

If I need employees/contractors in the future, you bet your life WFH will
be mandatory! :)

Ben