Working from home

Richard Proctor richard at waveney.org
Tue May 14 14:19:16 BST 2013

I can report on both sides of this:

I have run a largish project from home with developers working beside me
(my son), 5 miles away (in two offices) and 200 miles away (from his
home).  In general it worked fine, I enforced strongly defined
interfaces between the different people, working in different languages
on different parts of the project and then left them to get on with it
in their own style.  I developed much of the Perl (overall control),
several others worked in C (the bits that had to be fast), one worked in
PHP and Javascript (a modification to an existing product written in
PHP).  We had weekly audio hangouts, frequent phone calls and met up
rarely.   The project was 98% working when cancelled (due to two
important people falling out).

I have been looking for a new role for some time now, I run into either:

1)  You are over qualified for this role

or

2)  My very wide experience of 35 years working in many environments,
happens to not include knowledge of some esoteric new fangled term/type
of programming

Who would like a Senior ( Perl | Real time) programmer/ System architect
/ Problem solver ?

Richard