Perl 5.16 vs Ruby 2.0 UTF-8 support

Nic Gibson nicg at corbas.co.uk
Fri Aug 23 17:37:32 BST 2013

On 23 Aug 2013, at 17:32, gvim <gvimrc at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 23/08/2013 16:40, Dave Cross wrote:
>> In your original email, you said:
>>
>> "The problematic mail file doesn't display any non-ASCII characters when
>> opened in Vim"
>>
>> A pound sign is a non-ASCII character.
>>
>> Dave...
>>

> By pound sign do you mean £ or #? I don't quite understand as both characters show up normally in code, ie. comments and currency.

Just because it shows up in code doesn’t make it ASCII. There is no pound sterling character in the ASCII character set. If you are seeing this in your then your code is either a) not encoded as ASCII (probably Latin-1 or UTF-8) or b) broken

nic

--
Corbas Consulting / @CorbasLtd
Digital Publishing Consultancy and Training