Perl 5.16 vs Ruby 2.0 UTF-8 support

Dave Cross dave at
Sat Aug 24 08:12:54 BST 2013

On 08/23/2013 05:32 PM, gvim wrote:
> On 23/08/2013 16:40, Dave Cross wrote:
>> In your original email, you said:
>> "The problematic mail file doesn't display any non-ASCII characters when
>> opened in Vim"
>> A pound sign is a non-ASCII character.
> By pound sign do you mean £ or #? I don't quite understand as both
> characters show up normally in code, ie. comments and currency.

You can't work that out from the context? Two emails ago I told you that
the problematic character in your data was 0xA3, a pound sign.

This is A pound sign is £. That's not an ASCII character. #
is a hash. That *is* an ASCII character.

I'm not sure what your comment "both characters show up normally in
code" is trying to say.

Reading might be a good start.

Dave Cross :: dave at