Assigning Classes

D Perrett perrettdl at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 9 23:07:50 BST 2013

I suspect this is the sort of problem where no solution will give you
consistently unremarkable results if in the long run there are any
unspoken requirements like 'students shouldn't be able to game the
system by lying about their preferences'.

Leaving that aside, a naive (computationally expensive) solution would
be to take all the combinations of assigning students to courses, rule
out the impossible, compute the 'optimability', and sort. That would
be vast, you'd start by creating an array of length @courses **
@students (more when you include the 'two courses' rule).

A better option (memorywise) might be to write a function that takes a
list of students and assigns them one by one, measuring the accrued
dissatisfaction as it goes. Where possible, it assigns people to where
they want to be. It rejects a solution if it finds at any point a) it
has empty classes and no students remaining; b) it has students
remaining, but no acceptable place to put them (e.g. if none of
choices 1-5 are present), or an unacceptable level of dissatisfaction
has been reached (e.g. it's already exceeded the dissatisfaction of
its best-case scenario so far). If a solution is rejected, it
backtracks to the last decision it made, and makes a different
decision. It will stop after either a) reaching a perfect solution (or
an acceptable solution, if you can come up with a tolerable score), or
b) running out of solutions. This would still be the same number of
end-solutions, and getting to each solution would be slower, but it
might not break trying to find an acceptable solution.

Another option that comes to mind is randomly allocating them all,
ensuring required conditions are filled, then iterate over the
students, probably starting with the most dissatisfied to begin with.
Where students are free to move without breaking required conditions,
they should move to the class they prefer. Otherwise, they should look
for trades (starting in their most preferred class). The trade need
not be mutually beneficial, but it should benefit the overall score.
Keep iterating over them all until things stabilise. Try this a few
times with different random starting points and see if and how the
score improves.

You could also try pulling some good results from the backtracker and
using them as bases for the trading mechanism.

I think the two courses rule is a complication that can be partially
by giving the most dissatisfied in the first course the first choice
in the second course. Although really, we should be optimising for
satisfaction across both courses simultaneously. which is still
possible if you're using the backtracker method - you keep going with
each solution, oonce you've allocated students in the first, you start
allocating students to the second (dissatisfied first) until you've
got a dissatisfaction figure for the two courses combined or until you
need to backtrack back into the first course.

Daniel