Perl publishing and attracting new developers

Hakim C hakim.cassimally at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 19:14:28 BST 2013

On 18 September 2013 18:48, Peter Corlett <abuse at cabal.org.uk> wrote:
> The hypothetical "Modern Perl Cookbook" is a layering violation.
> Perl Cookbook is a collection of short hints and tips on how to do simple tasks.
> Modern Perl is how to architect a large system. That's two separate topics,
> and thus two separate books. Which already exist.

I disagree with your dismissal of that as a "layering violation."

Christopher Alexander's A Pattern Language, which is vastly more
interesting than the tedious Go4 book on OO patterns, looks at
patterns from small things like "Waist high shelf" to city-wide ones
"Mosaic of subcultures".  I don't think there's any reason why a
cookbook (which can be effectively structured like a pattern language)
shouldn't look at larger sweep issues too.

osf'