Could use some hotel/travel help

david david at chromiq.org
Thu Sep 26 12:13:32 BST 2013

You could try http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ [2] It certainly
appears to be able to position your hotel better than Priceline.

would echo what other people have said about picking the hotel you like,
based on price, facilities, scenic location, etc., but don't worry *too*
much about proximity to the station. You can get pretty much anywhere in
central London in about 20-30 mins by tube/taxi.

My suggestion would
be to look at the slew of (relatively) recently built "entry-level"
chain hotels (Novotel, Premier Inn, etc.) that have been built south of
the river in Southwark[*] between Waterloo and London Bridge. Both of
those stations are on the Northern Line, which will take you direct to
Euston.

David

[*] Pronounced "Suth-ark" ;-)

On Thu, 26 Sep 2013
11:55:37 +0100, Smylers wrote:

> Alan Mosca writes:
>
>> I've got one
word for you : Priceline.

> OK, I've never used Priceline before so
just had a look to see what they
> can find for our London trip.

You can easily get sub 100$ per night and have a 4*, depending on
period.

> The dates were fixed for us (we're attending a wedding).
>

> I dispute "easily". By default it searches all of London, which is

surely useless for everybody. It doesn't allow narrowing down by

postcode or Tube station. Admittedly it does offer to search by

proximity to golf courses, but regrettably directions for venues tend

not to mention those in the way they do postcodes and stations.

> So
I'm left reading through a long list of 'other landmarks' to work out

which one is likely to be nearest to where we want to stay, then going

through the resulting hotels list, adjusting the distances given to

allow for the delta between the location we actually want to search
near
> and the one it let us search near.
>
> At which point it turns
out that some of the purported hotels in the
> list are actually hostels
or apartments.

> So far as I can tell we can get actual, non-scummy,
hotels for $182 or
> $239. Which admittedly is less than £189, but still
way over the $100
> you mentioned.
>
> Oh, except that there's an extra
mysterious[*] 'taxes and fees' added at
> checkout, which I'm guessing
is VAT, making the $182 actually $218 per
> night (which, when
translated to sterling, is exactly the same price
> that Booking.com
quote for that room on those dates).

> [*] Mysterious in the sense
that they don't even try to justify how they
> calculated that
particular charge for this booking, just waffling on
> about the kinds
of things they cover.

Links:
------