Database Design Advice

James Laver james.laver at
Fri Nov 8 08:17:14 GMT 2013

Smylers <Smylers at> wrote:
>William Blunn writes:
>> Instead of storing a version ID (e.g. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6), you could
>> store a SERIAL.
>> So for one document ID, you might store versions 10, 11, 12, 50, 75,

This was my immediate thought as well, but I'd probably cheat and declarr the document version numbers to be oureky decorative and thus the realm of userspace to turn them into 1,2,3,4,5 etc. -- one can, after all fix this with a single line of code.

Performance (and complexity) would be much better than triggers