Database Design Advice

James Laver james.laver at
Fri Nov 8 09:26:41 GMT 2013

Mark Stringer <mark at> wrote:
> From the OP: "But version should start at 1 for each document and be

I'll grant that I've assumed that was to be more friendly to the end user, but in that case, it really is just cunning use of the .. operator.

>I'd guess that the date_created is being stored in the table, so could
>be used to order the records without the need for a serial, if ordering
>is the only concern.

Personally I would opt for timestamps by preference, but that brings in a longer requirements chat. How does backdating revisions work? Do you need a separate key to order in that case? Etc.