Database Design Advice

James Laver james.laver at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 09:26:41 GMT 2013

Mark Stringer <mark at repixl.com> wrote:

> From the OP: "But version should start at 1 for each document and be
>consecutive."

I'll grant that I've assumed that was to be more friendly to the end user, but in that case, it really is just cunning use of the .. operator.

>I'd guess that the date_created is being stored in the table, so could
>be used to order the records without the need for a serial, if ordering
>
>is the only concern.

Personally I would opt for timestamps by preference, but that brings in a longer requirements chat. How does backdating revisions work? Do you need a separate key to order in that case? Etc.

James