smutty british expression?

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Thu Feb 13 14:26:13 GMT 2014

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 01:56:43PM +0000, Sue Spence wrote:
> On 13 Feb 2014 09:55, "Dominic Thoreau" <dominic at thoreau-online.net> wrote:
[...]
>> You'll generally get change from a fiver for *a* pint, but not two. ...
> Today I learned that a pint cost about 20p when HHGTTG was written.

The ONS provides all sorts of interesting price data in this spreadsheet:

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/cpi/consumer-price-indices/december-2013/consumer-price-inflation-reference-tables.xls

Given Douglas's unique approach to deadlines, the final manuscript would have
been delivered to the BBC in March 1978, several hours before broadcast :)

The back of my fag packet reckons that RPI has risen 5.20 times since then. So
had beer been tracking RPI, it would be just £1 now.

(But we all know that the government figures are a load of bunk and real-world
inflation is much higher than the claimed couple of percent.)