consolidate regexes

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Tue Feb 25 12:49:15 GMT 2014

I am looking at an application where some incoming string needs to be
compared to many (certainly 10s, probably 100s but not 1000s) regexes.
This being a message passing application, speed is more important than
it might otherwise be. The list of regexes is single exit simple ladder
logic (i.e. the first match exits the list and is dealt with by the
associated function).

I am wondering whether there is some regex consolidation possible that
turns the regex list into some single mega regex or a more formal state
machine driven thingy.

Dirk