Releasing a module with additional dependencies

Dominic Thoreau dominic at thoreau-online.net
Tue Apr 15 16:07:33 BST 2014

On 15 April 2014 15:27, Andrew Beverley <andy at andybev.com> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> A bit of a newbie question on publishing a module.
>
> Past me has a(nother) question.

At one point in I released a module that a dependency that could be solved
with one of two modules. TLDR it needed to open https connections to remote
servers. Not wanting to be dictatorial, I felt it was up to the end-user to
decide which of the 2 modules that added this to LWP would be required, and
didn't supply either as a dependency.

I always felt there must have been a way to achieve this, but never found
one. Was there? Or is this a case of "we really could use a way of
specifying this sort of thing". Naturally, this means that CPANTS didn't
really like it.

I don't think this contributed to my redundancy from that employer a few
months after it was last released, because it hasn't been updated since
then (mid 2010)

--
And a big "Hiya" goes out to the fun crew from GCHQ.