Getting the schema for a DB table

Simon Wistow simon at thegestalt.org
Tue May 27 18:33:16 BST 2014

On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 02:42:21PM +0100, Sam Kington said:
> What's wrong with dependencies? It just takes a few minutes to
> install, disc is cheap, and it's not like any of the rest of your code
> is going to magically start loading these new modules and being all
> bloaty and insecure or whatever.

- Process size
- Start up time (but hey, at least it's not Rails :)
- "Disk is cheap" is an article of faith, not of fact and only true for
  certain scenarios (e.g not embedded)
- Developer pain such mas hoping all those 120 modules install with no
  errors and tracking down a bug to anywhere in the dependency chain

I've got nothing again Moose and despite occasionally sounding like it
I'm not just being arbitarily reactionary. If you are using Moose
already (and there are many good reasons too) there's literally no
downside. If not ... there are. And they're not always worth it.

> It's not like any of the rest of your codeis going to magically start

Not directly no. But indirectly ... that's exactly how loading libraries
work. They're still in my process memory.