Evaluating user-defined conditions

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Tue Jun 10 13:20:02 BST 2014

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 11:59:57AM +0100, Chris Jack wrote:

> Can I suggest you consider including some rudimentary idea of "cost" when you're deciding whether to allow the query to run or not. "Cost" could be in terms of anticipated rows returned and/or total anticipated CPU time.

See CPAN::ParseDistribution::Unix for an example of running
user-supplied code in a Safe compartment with a timeout. It may be a bit
overkill for your purposes, especially if you've got your own
parser/interpreter.

And obviously it's no good if you need to support legacy platforms.

--
David Cantrell | top google result for "internet beard fetish club"

There is no one true indentation style,
But if there were K&R would be Its Prophets.
Peace be upon Their Holy Beards.