[ANNOUNCE] Reminder: Tech Meet this Thursday 7pm at Conway Hall

Nicholas Clark nick at ccl4.org
Thu Jul 24 11:31:46 BST 2014

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 08:41:44PM +0100, Sue Spence wrote:
> In my experience you can't put the traffic and parking aside, because it's
> pretty difficult to drive in central London.  Be sure to pay the congestion
> charge if you manage to get near the venue before 6pm!

Also, pick a route that doesn't involve going round the M25 from the M3 to
the M4. If you play with the "typical traffic" on Google maps, you can see
that that stretch is a very unhappy red (in both directions) after about 4pm

That's probably not the only hot spot to avoid - the M4 from Slough to the
M25 doesn't look very happy, and some of the A roads are marked orange.

IIRC the average speed of traffic in central London remains stubbornly
around 11mph, pretty much unchanged for over 100 years.

I think that you will be lucky to get from the M25 to the venue in less than
75 minutes, and if you actually want to be sure to make it for the start,
you'll need to allow quite a bit more for that stretch.

Finding somewhere a bit further out to park and making the final part of
the journey by train or tube will massively increase your journey time
reliability.

Nicholas Clark