google spreadsheet API login woes

Simon Wistow simon at
Thu Oct 16 16:59:12 BST 2014

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 12:35:18PM +0100, Bob MacCallum said:
> It's stopped working recently (can't say exactly when) - and I don't know
> my AuthSub from my OAuth from my elbow.
> I've tried
>     my $auth = Net::Google::AuthSub->new;
>     my $res  = $auth->login($user, $pass);

I wrote Net::Google::AuthSub but I haven't used it for years and so it 
may be very, very out of date.

In fact the link in the docs to Google's page about Authentication leads 
to a 404 ... digging around leads to this page

"Important: AuthSub has been officially deprecated as of April 20, 2012. 
It will continue to work as per our deprecation policy, but we encourage 
you to migrate to OAuth 2.0 as soon as possible."

although according to the deprecation policy it should still work until 
April 20th, 2015

Given that BadAuthentication theoretically means that it's working but 
that the password's wrong I'd also guess that maybe app specific 
password was the solution.

More information about the mailing list