penderel

Paul Mison paulm at husk.org
Thu Nov 17 11:27:25 GMT 2005

if this affects you.

Some history: penderel was set up in state51 in June 2002. It never
booted cleanly; it relied on a boot floppy to bring it up from the
SCSI hard drive that hosted the OS. /home was on an IDE drive. That
died some time in 2003, I think, but was replaced with relatively
little trauma.

A week ago on Monday, a reboot failed with SCSI errors from the
system drive. The system was rescued with a boot CD, and while the
SCSI drive could be mounted (so the system was moved to a new
parted-created partition on the IDE drive) it wasn't happy to boot
the system.

Two days of remote hacking at LILO to get it to boot from the IDE
drive failed, and in the absence of any sign of anyone wanting to
bother visiting the site to fix booting, and the likely cost of
trying to maintain the aging hardware, the decision was taken to move
the mailing list, website and IRC bot to a new virtual host, windmill
(see previous emails to list).

Yesterday I went to state51 and picked up the two IDE drives (the
live and dead one), so if you had a shell account (and hence data) on
penderel and want it back, please get in contact off list and I'll
try and make it available to you. This may take a while.

However, my understanding is that windmill does not have the space
for shell accounts. A compromise that has been mooted is that, if
you're willing to administer the server (and my inclination is to
expand that to maintaining the mailing list, and website, including
both content and code) then shell accounts may be available. However,
there's no official word on this yet.

At some point someone will fix all the email aliases to point to a
different email address. Again, get in touch with me and I'll pass
them on to the relevant people (or even do it myself, there's a
thought).

The remaining hardware of penderel (a chassis, SCSI drive, CD and so
on) are all at state51. Unless someone cares to fetch it, it's likely
they'll dispose of it in short order.

Thanks again to state51 for the hosting, and to all the people who've
been through a stint on sysops at london.pm.org

Personally, I feel that penderel has been a failure. It took enough
maintenance to be annoying to various people, and never offered
enough over (what's currently available from) pm.org hosting to
justify it. Perhaps it was a victim of timing; when it was first
mooted DSL and colocation were expensive, but by the time it was
deployed hosting was cheap. In any case, I'm not sad to see it go.

--
:: paul
:: blue coconut slush