[Meta] Re: Moderation // Re: "The Case for File Swapping"

Pete Sergeant pete at clueball.com
Fri Nov 18 00:17:29 GMT 2005

On Thu, Nov 17, 2005 at 10:12:50PM +0200, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> Is London.pm as bad as many (most?) IRC networks?

Probably not. I run an IRC server on one of the networks which has a "No
Shlomi" policy. People often mistake us for an 'official' Perl network.

BUT WE'RE NOT. It's our private network! Woo!

The IRC Opers run the network in an entirely unaccountable and whimsical
way. This makes life on the network exceptionally good for 99% of
people, and exceptionally bad for people who waste breath telling us how
we should run our IRC network more fairly, and whine about rules.

> I can go on for hours on some of my IRC stories

I'm fairly sure this was part of the problem.

> but I just want to say that I recently almost consistently talk only
> on Freenode

That makes us happy! :-) We're very OpenBSD - if you don't like us, GO
AWAY. MagNET is not a free-for-all. It's a PRIVATE NETWORK. Most of the
channels are made up of FRIENDS. It is a PRIVILEGE, NOT A RIGHT for you
to be there.

> 4. Channel Operators know better than to abuse their power. In most
> other networks, chanops don't realise that with great power comes
> great responsibility.

That's because we run a PRIVATE IRC NETWORK. For our FRIENDS. Please
don't assume you have any right to be there :-) You have no implicit
right to use my mail server to relay your mail - I fail to see why you
believe you have a right to use my IRC server?

> "With great power comes great responsibility."

I'll level with you. We made an informed and unanimous choice that our
network was a worse place with you in it. And we removed you. Just
because you don't agree with our choices doesn't make us irresponsible.
Please don't confuse the two in future.

+Pete