The Virtue of Tactfullness [was Re: "The Case for File Swapping"]

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at
Fri Nov 18 11:50:41 GMT 2005

Shlomi> You seem to have a general grudge against me,

No, I have a general disdain for useless or harmful contributions.
Doesn't matter who makes them.  If you'll view my public postings,
you'll see that I'm an "equal opportunity critic".  I almost certainly
would have made the same comment no matter who posted the initial

Please understand this: *** THIS IS NOT ABOUT YOU ***.

It's about things you do, but it's also about things other people do.
I don't care about you. I care about the Perl community.  If you do
something good, I will be the first to praise it.  If you act crazy or
damaging in public, I will criticize it.  But the "you" in those
sentences is a general "you", not "One Mr Shlomi Fish who seems to
take criticism personally, making it durn near impossible to have any
useful impact".

You'll probably reply to this. Won't matter to me.  I won't respond,
unless you say something again factually wrong about me.  I made my
initial critical *opinion* response, and I made this response because
you spoke something that is not true, but other than that, I have
better things to do.

<merlyn at> <URL:>
See for onsite and open-enrollment Perl training!