Nominative Determinism (was: Domain naming (was: ADSL providers))

Ian Malpass ian at
Tue Dec 6 00:20:49 GMT 2005

On Mon, 5 Dec 2005, Dirk Koopman wrote:

> On Mon, 2005-12-05 at 16:37 -0500, Chris Winters wrote:
>> On 12/5/05, Andrew Beattie <andrew at> wrote:
>>> My mother had a teacher "Miss Nut".  The class thought nothing of it
>>> 'till one of them opened a book that was a present from her parents.
>>> Inside the cover, they had written: "To our dearest Hazel..."
>> Similarly: one of my early science teachers was Kathy Watt => kwatt (arg!)
> As we appear to have morphed into nominative determinism and as this is
> likely to be a rich seam of interesting trivia, I offer:
> My dentist in Dereham, Norfolk (and he is still "practising") is called:
> Mr Screech.

My swimming teacher was Miss Gill. One of my cookery teachers was Mrs
Burn. A history teacher at my school who left just before I arrived was
David Crockett. We also had a William Shakespeare[0,1] (who, alas, taught
Maths and not English).

[0] From <>: [[ William
Shakespeare (baptised April 26, 1564  April 23, 1616) ]] - that's a heck
of a long baptism....

[1] He told me that at least one male child in every generation of
his family is called William, which speaks of a shocking lack of
originality. He also dreaded any contact with officials like police
officers, because they always asked his name, and never believed his

The soul would have no rainbows if the eyes held no tears.

Ian Malpass
<ian at>