[Dbdpg-general] "DBD::Pg ping test" coming back for unrelated queries from DBI

Toby Corkindale tjc at wintrmute.net
Thu Jan 5 13:19:51 GMT 2006

On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 07:45:13PM +0000, Toby Corkindale wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 06:27:18PM +0000, Toby Corkindale wrote:
> > I'm getting a really wierd problem here.
> > Running Pg 8.1.1, DBD::Pg 1.43, modperl 2.0.1, perl 5.8.6, Class::DBI 3.0.13.
> > I'm running under mod_perl, with and without Apache::DBI, but have also been
> > able to duplicate the problem outside, in a test pure-perl forking server.
>
> Have also tested against Pg 8.0.3, incase there was something bleeding-edgey
> on 8.1.1 causing the issue. Problem is still there.
[snip]

A (simple) testcase written entirely using DBD::Pg, but duplicating the
queries being run in the more complex app, *did not* fail, even under
high-concurrency tests, in both CLI and mod_perl environments.

So I guess the problem probably lies somewhere in the Class::DBI/Ima::DBI
layer. I'll leave the DBD::Pg list off future posts.

What *was* slightly worrying was that during initial one-off tests run from
the commandline, I saw Perl segfaulting at the end of the script!
Unfortunately I had core dumps disabled at the time, and one I enabled them I
couldn't get the error to reoccur, with, or without, coredumps allowed.

-Toby

--
Turning and turning in the widening gyre/The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart, the centre cannot hold/Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world