[OT] Useable BIOS RAID 1 on the cheap?

Roger Horne roger at hrothgar.co.uk
Wed Jan 18 10:44:36 GMT 2006

On Wed 18 Jan, Jacqui Caren wrote:

> Taking a poll - do people here leave (home/desk) machines running 24x7
> or do they power down when done for the day.

I work a lot from home and have my personal home and work machies VPN'ed and
leave them all on the whole time. I keep all my work files on the work
machine, backing it up onto a home machine using snapback (from CPAN).

Someone the other day was asking whether people had any subjects that they
would like discussed at a tech meet. Is all this suitable? ie the
advantages/disadvantages of RAID and its comparison with software backups
using snapback/rsnapshot (and the differences between those two) onto a
completely separate machine(s).

Some of us non-hardware-techies might also be interested in learning the
advantages (if any) in relation to Perl of "modern" hardware including 64
bit multiple cores etc.

Roger Horne