Mail body munging: state of the art?

Andy Armstrong andy at hexten.net
Wed Jan 18 12:40:49 GMT 2006

I'm playing with an idea that I've been mulling over for a while. I
suppose you could call it a kind of CRM. The idea is that I have a
mail filter running on my server that can annotate incoming mail in a
number of ways - the thing I'm playing with for the proof of concept
is to look the From: address up with the Flickr API and then, if the
sender has a Flickr account include a link to it at the foot of the
email. In general I want to use it to attach arbitrary factoids about
the sender to my incoming mail.

I want to be able to add annotations in a way that works reliably
regardless of the format of the mail - if it's a multipart mail with
HTML and plain text versions I'd like to add the annotation to both
versions for example.

What should I be using? What's the state of the art for parsing /
modifying / recreating mail?

--
Andy Armstrong, hexten.net