[OT] Useable BIOS RAID 1 on the cheap?

Toby Corkindale tjc at wintrmute.net
Wed Jan 18 16:31:29 GMT 2006

On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 10:34:14PM +0000, Chris Benson wrote:
> <aside>Am I alone in rating data security above speed? I'm RAID1-ing
> home servers. Most of the servers at work are RAID1 for o/s and RAID0+1
> (or is that 1+0?) or RAID[45] with a remote mirror ...

Definately not. I have a RAID5 array in my home server, plus a single seperate
disk (stored elsewhere) that I also back things up onto.
But that's for reliability over speed.
The data isn't *amazingly* valuable; I mean, it's just email archives, my svn
repository, assorted notes and documents, and system configuration; but
still.. It's not expensive to try and store it reliably, but it's very
expensive in time to rebuild everything if I lost it all.

Most places I've worked have used mandatory RAID on all the live servers.
Workstations and testing machines tend to be single-disk, unfortunately - but
it's not hard to rsync the important bits of info to a remote server.

tjc

--
Turning and turning in the widening gyre/The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart, the centre cannot hold/Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world