"fixing" RCS files

Jacqui Caren jacqui.caren at ntlworld.com
Thu Feb 2 08:43:15 GMT 2006

Tara Andrews wrote:
> On 2/1/06, jesse <jesse at fsck.com> wrote:
>
>>man co gets:
>>       -kk    Generate only keyword names in keyword strings; omit their  val-
>>Which may point at the codepath to neuter.
> Thing is, I have RCS files that are full of log messages that need to
> be removed.

-kb will do what you require - it will ensure that the log messages are
not output.

If you want to get rid of the $Id$ $Log$ etc then either manipulate in
RCS (as below)
or
   1) rcs -kb the files then checkout using cvs.
   2) checkout under cvs
   3) remove the despised RCS tags :-)
   4) checkin
   5) rcs -kk the files if you use win and *nix so that TortoiseCVS
      does not end up continuously checking in CRLF changes :-(

[jacqui at PAULNJ jacqui]$ cat >a
foo
$Id$
bar
$Log$
wert
[jacqui at PAULNJ jacqui]$ ci a
a,v  <--  a
enter description, terminated with single '.' or end of file:
NOTE: This is NOT the log message!
 >> .
initial revision: 1.1
done
[jacqui at PAULNJ jacqui]$ co a
a,v  -->  a
revision 1.1
done
[jacqui at PAULNJ jacqui]$ more a
foo
$Id: a,v 1.1 2006/02/02 08:31:05 jacqui Exp $
bar
$Log: a,v $
Revision 1.1  2006/02/02 08:31:05  jacqui
Initial revision

wert
[jacqui at PAULNJ jacqui]$ co -kb a
a,v  -->  a
revision 1.1
done
[jacqui at PAULNJ jacqui]$ more a
foo
$Id$
bar
$Log$
wert
[jacqui at PAULNJ jacqui]$

So, rcs -kb the rcs files under CVS and you can cvs co without those
nasty logs.

[jacqui at PAULNJ jacqui]$ rcs -kb a
RCS file: a,v
done